Thursday, September 27, 2007

The last book I read

I read about sixty or seventy books a year and I read in all genres - historicals, fantasy, thrillers, mysteries, literary, and, of course, romance. Non-fiction also takes up a significant percentage of the books I read.

If I start a book and I don't think it's very good, I stop and go on to another book. Soem books I get to a certain point and I flip to the back - if I can figure out how the characters got from where they were to where they are at the end of the book, I'm usually not motivated to read it. I guess that means I like surprise endings, and twisty, unpredictable plots.

A few days ago I finished Season of Storms by Susan Kearsley and I absolutely loved it- it's about this aspiring actress who travels to a very special villa in Italy to take on a role written for her namesake a century before. Why is the villa special? It was the home of the playwright, a known libertine, who, late in life, fell in love with the actress for whom he wrote his most famous play. A mystery surrounds the place and danger waits but our heroine finds love and creates a family for herself away from home.

Well-written and well-paced, the book is an example of the kind I'd like to write - though with lots more, ah, smut!

No comments: